Monday, January 9, 2012

Let's talk about: slightly okay singing!

As per my very first blog post, I began taking singing lessons towards the end of 2011.  My teacher recommended I record myself and my progress, so I set aside an hour from my very busy schedule of sleeping and watching TV to figure out the chords to one of my favourite songs and record my own version of it.  Here's a video of my version of "My Manic and I" by Laura Marling:


I think I've improved a fair bit since I began.  For one, I'm slightly more comfortable listening to myself sing.  I used to hear myself and cringe at how I sounded, but now I can almost tolerate my voice.  My voice itself is stronger, my breathe support better, and occasionally I can even use vibrato!  My teacher is great and I'm very sad to leave her behind.  She has been encouraging me to accompany myself, which was a brilliant move on her part because I'm much more confident in my piano skills than my vocal skills.  She also has me working on original music, and before I move to NYC and have to say goodbye to my trusty keyboard for a while I hope to post some of my very own songs.

You know, after I take a bottle of Xanax and drink several bottles of vodka.

No comments:

Post a Comment