Saturday, January 28, 2012

let's talk about: dorm living!

I know 25 is probably considered quite old to live away from home for the first time, but this is legitimately my first time away from home for an extended period of time.  I tried moving to Toronto once and lasted about a month;  I lived with a family friend in Mississauga and realized fairly quickly that I didn't want to move from suburbia to suburbia. Then I tried moving to New York once and lasted about two weeks and lived with a young friend who was, gently put, slightly less responsible than I would have liked and caused my high-strung self to become even more frazzled than normal.  That time, I went home for my health.  Now, armed with some intense months of CBT and a supply of Zoloft, I am back in New York, living in a graduate student dorm near Columbia University.

Things I like about living in a dorm (surprisingly, there are a few):

- Cafeteria and meal plan.  I can't cook, and don't want to cook until I absolutely have to learn.
- The view from my 10th floor room.
- The girls on my floor are all either awesome at best to quiet and harmless at worst.
- The neighbourhood.  Morningside Heights is often called Boringside Heights and you know what?  That's cool with me.  I'm from suburbia, so, you know.

Things I don't like about living in a dorm (surprisingly, not as many as I expected):

- The heat in my room is almost unbearable and it's only January, but I'm still too cheap and lazy to get a/c.
- The bathrooms.  I'm really looking forward to my first visit home, where I plan to do nothing but take long bubble baths and sing very, very loudly.

Things I thought I would hate but don't mind:

- Neighbours.  Back home, I lived in a basement on the opposite end of the house from my parents.  I was extremely used to silence and darkness, and I was definitely worried that the noises of others would be difficult for me to get used to, especially because I'm a very light sleeper.  Other than the first night, though, I haven't had any problems.  Part of it is learning to tolerate things better, but part of it is also due to the ladies on my floor who are all, so far, very respectful and considerate.
-  No TV.  My Canadian netflix account, which I loathed due to its limited choices, is also my US netflix account, which I love due to its plethora of choices.  I have a huge crush on Alec Baldwin now.

I'm sure there's more to talk about, good things, bad things, the city, friends, family, but this already seems like a lot.  I miss my family, my dog, my cats, and my bedroom.  I miss cold winter days and the prairies and snow and driving in a car.  But I miss them in a good way, in a way that makes me appreciate being here and will help me appreciate being home again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment